Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Christmas Story

I just got my my first short story publication, ever. :)

I've always enjoyed writing, but the NaNoWriMo novel writing contest really kicked me into gear. As I was working on the novel, I started looking around at other venues for shorter fiction. I found out about a new online magazine that was taking submissions, and decided to give it a shot.

The story itself is a Christmas-themed steampunk piece, and it's the first short fiction I've written in nearly 15 years. It's a style that I don't normally use - written from the perspective of a small child - so it was a challenge to tone down the vocabulary and still get across what needed saying. It was a lot of fun to create and provided a good learning environment for the edit/rewrite process.

Click the link below to give it a read:

"Darkness into Stars"

I hope you enjoy it.

4 comments:

Wayne Conrad said...

That is a well crafted story which I thoroughly enjoyed. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I have a story coming out at "Three Crow Press," too. I just finished yours and saw your website at the bottom. I have an online magazine called Liquid Imagination, and a web office at Francis Ford Coppola's "American Zoetrope." If you want to join my web office of 236 writers of stories and screenplays, editors, artists and poets, just join www.americanzoetrope.com for free. Then look up Liquid Imagination in the offices. You are very talented.

John "Arthur" Logan Miller

Anonymous said...

After being an ATC for 30 yrs I found myself thinking that you must really love air controlling. With your obvious and apparent talent, your living could be made elsewhere.
Thanks for sharing the story!

Anonymous said...

Well done - very enjoyable story too. Keep going!!!

L